Slip and Fall / Premises Liability
Fighting for the rights of slip and fall accident victims throughout Kansas - Bretz & Young
Slip and fall or trip and fall accidents can happen to anyone at any time. Whether you're walking in a supermarket in Wichita or a restaurant in McPherson, you can slip or trip without warning, causing you to fall and sustain a serious personal injury.
Knowing what to do after a slip and fall accident can be confusing. Many people blame themselves and think there is nothing that can be done to obtain compensation for the accident, no matter how serious or severe the injuries.
We think differently. We believe injury victims have rights and deserve to be compensated for medical bills, lost income and other expenses associated with their accident. That's why we work so hard on such cases at Bretz & Young - and we have the case results to prove it. We have successfully argued multiple slip and fall cases in jury trials. Our attorneys have recovered more than $100 million for injury victims. In one settlement, we obtained $50 million in a wrongful death case.
While not every slip and fall accident is related to a property owner's negligence, many of these types of accidents have grounds for legal action. It's best to consult with an experienced attorney who can help determine if you have a case. These claims can be difficult to prove, which is why you should not try to handle it alone.
What are common causes of slip and fall accidents?
Slip and fall accidents happen for many reasons in hotels, restaurants and other public places. Some of the most common reasons why slip and fall accidents occur include:
- Wet surfaces - Whether it's water left by a janitor on a hotel lobby floor or produce dropped in a grocery store, such hazardous conditions often result in slip and fall accidents.
- Icy conditions - Snow or ice-covered sidewalks or parking lots in winter in Kansas can be extremely dangerous. That's why property owners have a responsibility to keep such public areas safe and free of such hazards.
- Uneven floors - Dangerous stairs, large cracks in walkways, uneven sidewalk slabs, and unexpected drops from one stair to another are just some examples of dangerous, uneven floors.
- Poor maintenance - Property owners have a legal obligation to maintain public areas. This includes proper lighting, adequate safety, and other similar measures designed to protect the public. When owners fail to properly maintain their properties, they need to be held accountable.
- Neglect - Failing to make routine repairs and regular maintenance to places used by the public (hallways, sidewalks, stairwells, etc.) can result in serious slip or trip and fall accidents.
What are premises liability accidents?
Premises liability is a legal term that refers to a property owner's responsibility to properly maintain places regularly used by the public. When a property owner fails to take the necessary precautions to protect people, that owner can be held legally responsible if someone is injured.
Examples of premises liability accidents cover a wide range, including:
- Swimming pool accidents
- Staircase accidents
- Sidewalk accidents
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals
- Elevator accidents
- Building collapses
- Building fires
- Dog attacks
What should I do if I'm injured in a slip and fall accident?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, we strongly urge you to take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Call for emergency medical help.
- Inform the person who owns the property or the management that you were hurt.
- If you have a cell phone camera, use it to take photographs of the accident scene. If you don't, ask someone to take pictures.
- Get witness accounts. Ask for their full names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- Call us as soon as possible so we can help you get started on a potential legal claim. We can deal directly on your behalf with property owners, insurance companies and others responsible for compensating you for your accident.
Should I file a premises liability lawsuit for my slip and fall accident?
Perhaps. Sometimes, filing a premises liability lawsuit against the property owner is the best way to obtain the compensation you rightfully deserve. But there's no guarantee you will receive your money if you file a lawsuit.
Often, these cases can be settled before a lawsuit is necessary. We have experience negotiating settlements that are very favorable to our clients. But if the insurance company for the property owner is unwilling to agree to a reasonable number, we are prepared to take a client's case to court.
How can a Kansas slip and fall accident attorney help me?
When you have experienced slip and fall accident lawyers handling your case, we can take an aggressive approach in pursuit of compensation for your injury. Instead of insurance companies or property owners dictating what happens to you, you're in charge.
Our job is to thoroughly investigate a client's case. If you hire us, that's exactly what we will do on your behalf. This often includes carefully reviewing inspection reports, maintenance records, your doctor's diagnosis of your injury, as well as visiting the scene of your accident.
Call today: (866) 881-0103. Every consultation is free at our Hutchinson-based law firm. We proudly serve injury victims and their families throughout Kansas and beyond.