Bretz Injury Law: Your Personal Injury Lawyers in Topeka, KS
If you live or work in Topeka and ever find yourself involved in an accident or get seriously injured, you should know that Kansas laws are there to protect you.
To ensure your rights are protected and you get a chance to seek any financial recovery you’re eligible for, contact the Topeka personal injury lawyers at Bretz Injury Law as soon as possible after your injury. Our team takes the time to listen to you and always approaches your situation with a compassionate, strategic, and evidence-based approach.
The Different Types of Personal Injury Claims
Topeka personal injury claims can include any injury which has resulted from someone’s negligence. Many claims arise from:
- Auto Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Industrial Construction and Farming Injuries
- Product Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Slip and Fall
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Negligent security
- Product liability
- Dog bites
In Topeka and across Kansas, you may have a claim if your injury was caused by negligence, but it’s not always easy to tell whether recklessness was a factor. For example, if you slip and fall in a store, is it simply an accident, or did the store fail to take proper care to protect you?
Speaking with Topeka personal injury lawyers at Bretz Injury Law can help you get answers. We will listen to you explain what happened and help you determine whether you might have a claim. If you do, we can represent you and seek financial recovery for your losses.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer in Topeka
Even if your situation is covered by an insurance policy, such as a motorcycle accident policy or workers’ compensation, dealing with the insurance company when you’re injured and in pain is challenging. Being on the phone with insurance companies, dealing with paperwork, and determining whether an insurance offer is fair can be overwhelming.
Our Topeka personal injury attorney works in your best interests. We also have the legal experience and education to handle all the details of your case, including:
- Determining whether you have a case
- Investigating the accident, with the help of accident reconstruction experts and other professionals
- Finding all liable parties
- Negotiating with insurance companies so you don’t have to
- Taking your case to court if that’s the best way to get recovery
- Seeking the best financial recovery for you
To learn more about what the legal team at Bretz Injury Law can do in your case, contact us online for a free consultation or call 785-264-4213.
How to Avoid Car Accidents in Topeka
At Bretz Injury Law, some of our most common personal injury cases stem from car accidents. Unfortunately, no matter how good a driver you are, you will likely be in at least one accident in your lifetime. Here’s how to lower your risk:
- Drive sober. Alcohol and drugs significantly increase your risk of a crash by lowering your response times and affecting your judgment.
- Put away distractions. This includes your cell phone and your drive-through lunch.
- Keep up with maintenance. Take good care of your car so it responds reliably when you need it to.
- Make sure you’re calm and collected. Don’t drive upset, tired, or unwell since all these states can affect your ability to focus and drive safely.
What To Do After a Car Accident in Topeka
What you do after your car accident can affect your ability to heal more fully from your injuries and seek financial recovery. Here is what you’ll want to do to protect yourself, your finances, and your future:
- Get medical help. If anyone at the scene is seriously injured, call 911. Topeka ER & Hospital, Stormont Vail Health Emergency and Trauma Center, and other local facilities are here to help in an emergency. Even if you’re not seriously injured, get a medical evaluation soon after your accident. Head and spinal cord trauma might not cause serious symptoms immediately but may require fast treatment.
- Document everything you can. If possible, take photos of your accident scene and the surrounding area. Exchange insurance information with the other driver and write down any details you can remember. Even small details can help you prove your case.
- Report the accident. If the accident was serious, call the police and get a copy of the police report. Also, call your insurance company to start the claims process. Do not speak with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Contact an attorney. As soon as you can after your collision, call a Topeka car accident attorney to find out whether you have a claim and to get assistance in seeking financial recovery. Car accident lawyers in Topeka can deal with the claims process and can work to get you the amount you need to cover lost income, medical bills, and other losses.
Common Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents
Car accidents can involve significant force, and even with seatbelts and other safety systems, it’s not uncommon to sustain the following serious injuries:
- Whiplash and soft tissue injuries
- Head trauma
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord, neck, and back injuries
- Facial and dental injuries
- Abrasions and scarring
No matter what kind of injury you’ve sustained, treat it seriously. Get a medical evaluation, follow all medical advice, and consult a Topeka personal injury attorney to ensure you’re not stuck with the medical bills yourself.
The Impact of Car Accidents on Your Life
Until it happens to them, most people don’t realize how devastating a personal injury can be. After a car accident, you’ll likely face some lost time at work and some lost income. At the same time, you may face high medical bills from your injury. Even with good health insurance, the co-pays on an emergency room visit and treatment can be prohibitive.
You might also need to repair or replace your car and any other property in your vehicle at the time of the accident. In addition to the financial impact, the pain and suffering of a crash can impact your sleep, relationships, and even mental health for months or years to come.
While an attorney can’t turn back the clock and prevent your car accident from happening, they can seek financial recovery so you can pay for quality medical care and treatment so you can get back on track.
Understanding Insurance Claims for Personal Injury
If you’ve suffered an injury in Topeka, insurance may cover you. For example, if you’re a motorcyclist involved in a crash, your insurance may pay for some of your bike repairs and medical costs after a crash. It may not be anywhere near enough, but some people think that’s all they’re entitled to.
You will need to file a claim, complete paperwork, and wait for insurance adjusters to determine whether you qualify for coverage. Here’s something many people don’t realize, though — insurance companies are not legally obligated to act in your best interests. In fact, they work for their shareholders, and saving money by paying you less is what they do best.
This is why it’s important to consult with a Topeka personal injury lawyer. A lawyer is obligated to work for your best interest. They can review and negotiate insurance offers to make sure you don’t get less than you deserve.
How Bretz Injury Law Can Help You
It’s no exaggeration to say Bretz Injury Law is among the country’s top 1% of attorneys. For one thing, we’ve been awarded the “Client Distinction Award” for communication, responsiveness, value, and the quality of our service. Less than 1% of attorneys can say the same.
Our law firm has also been named to the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a group for attorneys who have secured multi-million dollar court wins. Less than 1% of attorneys in the United States and only seven other Kansas law firms have been named part of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Bretz Injury Law has also won multiple awards, including being named one of U.S. News’ Best Law Firms.
Our firm has recovered over $300 million for injured people and their families. If you’ve been injured, we put our experience of thousands of successful settlements and court wins to work. We listen and determine whether you have a case. If you decide to pursue your case by working with us, our entire team will work hard to seek fair financial recovery for you.
The Benefits of Working with a Contingency Fee Lawyer
Many seriously injured people in Topeka hesitate to contact an attorney because they worry about the costs. Unfortunately, not getting legal representation can mean these injured people do not get the financial recovery they may deserve, meaning they must pay some of their injury costs out of pocket.
Bretz Injury Law believes every injured person with a legitimate claim deserves quality representation. It’s why we work on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t pay us until we win. In fact, we haven’t sent a bill to an injured client since 1991.
We’re also happy to offer a free consultation to you if you’ve been injured, so you risk nothing and need to pay nothing to protect your future.
Our Approach to Personal Injury Law
The Topeka personal injury lawyers at Bretz Injury Law believe every case is unique. So no matter how you’ve been injured, we carefully listen to what’s happened and build a strategic approach to optimize your possibility of financial recovery.
While some firms believe in settling fast, at Bretz Injury Law, we’re always willing to go to court if that’s the path to securing the right financial recovery for you. We have extensive trial and negotiation experience, to the point that other firms often refer their most challenging cases to us because they know we can get results.
We’ve kept our boutique firm purposely small, so we can bring you the attention you and your case deserve. At the same time, we bring large firm results to the table. We’ve won 98% of the cases we’ve pursued in the last 30 years, and we work with an extensive network of accident reconstruction professionals, medical experts, private investigators, and other professionals who can investigate the cause of your injuries.
If you’re looking for a law firm with a commitment to giving you the representation you deserve, contact Bretz Injury Law for a free consultation today by calling our Topeka office at 785-264-4213.