Your Experienced Semi Truck Accident Attorneys
You see them everywhere - on the highways, back roads, and busy city streets. They are an important part of our economy in Kansas, but they're also potentially dangerous. These large vehicles can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. For that reason, a single crash involving one of them can be devastating.
At Bretz Injury Law, in Hutchinson, Salina, Wichita, Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, and Hays we’ve seen the devastation semi-truck accidents have caused victims and their families. No matter how complex your legal questions may be, we can provide answers. Contact us today to learn more.
Why semi-truck accidents can be so dangerous
Semi-truck accidents are often caused by:
- Drowsy driving: Truck drivers spend a lot of time on the road, which is regulated by hours-of-service laws and electronic logging devices (ELDs). When truck drivers don't get an enough rest during their time off, they could be at risk of falling asleep at the wheel.
- Distracted driving: It's not uncommon for truck drivers to use handheld devices and built-in dash features while on the road. Other forms of distracted driving include filling out paperwork, eating or drinking, and grooming or taking care of personal hygiene.
- Speeding: The pressure of moving more consumer goods within a shorter amount of time can cause truck drivers to exceed the speed limit. Trucker who drive too fast may have less control of their vehicles and may be unable to stop to prevent a crash.
- Poor truck maintenance: Federal laws require trucking companies to ensure that their vehicles are up to code and safe to operate. They can be held accountable if a vehicle malfunction (brake failure, tire blowout, loose wheel, etc.) results in a crash.
- Inexperienced drivers: While it's not illegal for trucking companies to hire new, properly licensed drivers, their inexperience could be a liability to other road users.
- Overloaded or unsecured cargo: Federal regulations place limits on how much a semi-trailer can weigh. When cargo is overloaded or unsecured, it can spill out onto the roadways and put other drivers at risk.
Hire a lawyer you can trust
If you have been injured in a crash with a semi-truck, it's important to understand your rights. Never attempt to handle your claim alone. Not only are you up against a trucking company determined to downplay any wrongdoing on their part, you're up against multiple insurance companies who care more about protecting their assets than ensuring your recovery.
Let the experiencedattorneys at Bretz Injury Law handle your claim. We have decades of legal experience and knowledge in handling truck accident claims. We'll launch a thorough investigation into your truck accident and find out where negligence occurred.